Looking for a way to turn off "Find My iPhone" on your iOS devices? This post will walk you through various methods that you can use to remove your iPhone and other iOS devices from Apple's best tracking service. You can turn off "Find My iPhone" from the device itself, remotely using a computer or other iOS device that you own. Last but not least, you can also learn how to turn off "Find My iPhone" without password, in case you forget it. Read on to know how!
Method 1: How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone" Right from the Device
This method can only be used if you have the necessary Apple ID and the password that were used to set up "Find My iPhone" for the first time. The steps are pretty straightforward. Check them out below!
- Go to Settings.
- Select iCloud.
- Tap on "Find My iPhone"
- Set it to off mode.
- You'll be required to enter your Apple ID and password to confirm it.
- Tap on Turn Off.
That's it! Assuming you do the above steps correctly, your iPhone should be removed from "Find My iPhone" by now. Now if you want to sell your iPhone, you might as well reset it to its factory settings. This will delete all your data and other customization. To do this, follow the following steps:
- Open Settings.
- Tap General.
- Select Reset and Erase All Content and Settings
Method 2: How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone" on Computer / Without the Phone
This method is useful if you have sold your iPhone to somebody, but you forget to turn off "Find My iPhone" in the first place. The device is already in someone else's possession and it's impossible to give that someone your Apple ID along with the password. In this situation, you can remotely turn off the service using your computer. Follow the steps below to do it:
- Make sure the iPhone is offline. You can ask the current owner of the iPhone to turn it off for you.
- Head for iCloud.com and sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- Once logged in, click "Find My iPhone" icon. A new page will load.
- Click on All Devices. You'll be shown a list of iOS devices that you own / owned. Select the one that you want to remove from the tracking service.
- At this point, a new window will pop up. There are two options that you can do:
- Choose Erase iPhone if you simply want to remove the device from "Find My iPhone" and bypass the Activation Lock.
- Choose Remove from Account if the new owner gets an error upon re-activating your iPhone.
By now, the new owner of your iPhone should be able to bypass the Activation Lock. All that's left now is to tell the new owner to re-activate it using his / her own Apple ID.
Method 3: How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone" from Another iOS Device
This method is also useful for similar situation as explained previously. Only now, you use another iOS device of yours, instead of a computer. The steps are not very different as well. Assuming the iPhone you want to remove from "Find My iPhone" service is already offline, here is the rest of the steps:
- Open "Find My iPhone" app from another iOS device of yours and sign in using your Apple ID and password.
- You will be able to see all of your iOS devices. Select the one that's offline.
- Choose either to "erase" or "remove" it.
- Do the given instructions to proceed.
This method is simpler than the previous one but hey, not anyone has two or more iOS devices. They're awfully expensive.
Method 4: How to Turn Off "Find My iPhone" without Password
This is not possible to do on your own. If it were, then there wouldn't be any point to use "Find My iPhone" in the first place. Thief would be able to easily remove the iPhone from "Find My iPhone" before the real owner could even track it. So, what if you want to turn off "Find My iPhone" but you forget your iCloud account password? What if you buy a second hand iPhone that's not been removed yet from the previous owner's iCloud account and you can't contact him / her for some reason?
The only way to get around it is to make an appointment at an Apple Store and provide the Genius on-hand proof of purchase (to show you're the authorized owner) along with proof of identity and they will reset Activation Lock, giving you access to the device. If you bought the iPhone second hand, you will need the help of the original owner to show the proof. If for some reason you can't contact him / her anymore, then there is nothing you can do. I know that sucks, but such security measure is necessary.
Tags: #how to turn off find my iphone on computer #how to turn off find my iphone on iphone 6 #how to turn off find my iphone without icloud password #how to turn off find my iphone without password #how to turn off find my iphone without phone